I’ve been targeting employers in Phoenix for almost a year now, but only since this past July have I focused full-time on connecting with employees from these firms. The #90daystomydreamjob challenge has led me to re-evaluate my top five dream employers. I now more seriously consider company size, culture and where they are in their growth phase with my preferences which all helps me make an educated guess whether they’d have an HR need that I can fulfill.
I’ve spoken to a lot of wonderful people from a few of these companies and they help confirm that I’d make a great fit.
Here’s my top five as of 12/9/15 and my reasons for choosing them:
1. PetSmart-I could talk all day about my love for pets, especially dogs, so a company that recognizes how much pets enrich our lives is up there on my list (there’s even video evidence of this!). Since it’s headquartered in Phoenix there likely are more opportunities to do HR specialist roles. Oh and after my fiancé and I do make the big move, we’re getting my first dog together—I could even take the dog to the office with me at PetSmart!
2. Intel- I have a deep respect for technology that aims to do good by making life easier for everyone. After talking to a lot of employees there, I believe that’s what Intel strives to do. They also have a well-developed HR department that’s integrated with the business. I could add a lot of value with my unique perspective and background while also learn a ton from the employees that would be my peers and mentors.
3. Arizona State University-I told my career counselor from business school over the summer that I see a lot of similarities in what she did for me as what I loved to do for my team members when I was a manager at various companies. I thrive on the coaching and development aspects of management and could positively influence a lot of W.P. Carey or Thunderbird business students entering the work force.
4. LifeLock-Another Arizona headquartered company doing great work in Tempe! LifeLock makes it their mission to ensure our identities are safe while we enjoy the magic that is the interwebs. Because this is a headquartered location, there will likely be more HR needs and in turn HR opportunities offered at this company.
5. Wells Fargo-This would be like coming home in a way. I used to work for Wachovia Wealth Management during the year they were acquired by Wells Fargo. I grew the majority of my career in the financial services industry so I know well its opportunities and challenges. Wells Fargo has a large presence in the Valley and I’d be happy to ‘come home’ again.
So there you have it, my top five targeted employers in Phoenix. I’m working to build a total list of 40 employers to contact so that I increase my chances of landing my dream job within the 90 days.